Friday, November 18, 2005

Thanksgiving

I just realized that we haven't learned much about the American Thanksgiving. G-8 did when he was in school. I sure hope there are a few books left at the library. The boys have been begging for some activities and creative play, so I think I might have them put together a lapbook or small Thanksgiving Journal.

After doing a bit of online research and ordering some books from the library, I have come up a personal realization. I don't like learning about History. Well, at least not according to the traditional American Timeline. I don't know what it is about me, but I can't just take in information and spit it out. I just can't expect that of my children either. Yes, I was that kid who could not stop arguing with the teachers. I just couldn't stand that they wouldn't teach history. That we just read the book and did the tests and that was it. But, what about the other side of the story? Sometimes, I don't want to pass that trait along to my boys. I just want them to follow the line. I want them to be able to answer all the questions and do the right things. I think this is a personal "problem" I really need to work on. Is this just something I missed because I didn't finish college yet? Maybe kids just aren't read for so much in depth information. I admit that sometimes I start getting into a subject and I realize that even G-8's eyes have glazed over. I think I've even scared him a bit sometimes.

Here are two of the books I really want to read..but I'm afraid to do it.History Lessons: How Textbooks from Around the World Portray U.S. History
History Lessons: How Textbooks from Around the World Portray U.S. History


I've borrowed
Lies My Teacher Told Me: Everything Your American History Textbook Got Wrong
Lies My Teacher Told Me: Everything Your American History Textbook Got Wrong


from the library and I just can't make myself read it. I'm afraid to read it. I'm afraid to think I had to waste all that damn time in those useless classes. Why couldn't I just read and enjoy myself all those years. Oh wait..this is about History right? I thought the reason we learned History is to understand the past and our older generations. To see where we have come from. To see how different governments are run and see what is successful and what has failed.

While searching through B&N for the ISBN's I came upon yet another book to burst my little bubble of confusion.

Everything You've Been Taught Is Wrong: Fact, Fiction, and Lies in American History: 14 Lectures (Portable Professor Series)
Everything You've Been Taught Is Wrong: Fact, Fiction, and Lies in American History: 14 Lectures (Portable Professor Series)




I think I'm going to dictate this poem to G-8. I really want to have start doing some more Waldorfy journal pages.
Thanksgiving Poem

Thankful Wreath
These are directions to make a paper plate wreath with a leaf template to cut out and color. We are going to use some cardboard from boxes. The boys collected some leaves to study and draw.

Map of the Mayflower journey and a quiz.

History Channel's Thanksgiving page

Timeline of United States Thanksgiving History

Christian Thanksgiving Bible Study

No comments:

 
blog template by suckmylolly.com : background image by Patrick Hennessey