Tuesday, May 26, 2009

The Warrior Grade 1

These plans are for our third child. He will be in Grade 1 this year. I'm only listing what I have access to currently. We are waiting to see if we are accepted to a virtual academy. The VA would allow us more curriculum choices, field trips, and to join the YMCA.

He isn't reading yet. We are working on that over the summer. I doubt he will be able to read on his own next year. I'll add easy readers from the library as he develops those skills.

Read Alouds
I'll probably pull read alouds from the booklist for Ambleside Online 1.

Holling C. Holling Books
Charlotte's Web by E.B. White
King of the Golden River by John Ruskin
Peter Pan (or, Peter Pan and Wendy) by James M. Barrie (parents may want to read this one aloud to edit, see below)
Pinocchio by Carlo Collodi
The Red Fairy Book by Andrew Lang
St. George and the Dragon by Margaret Hodges
The Velveteen Rabbit by Margery Williams
Little House in the Big Woods by Laura Ingalls Wilder
Pocahontas by Ingri D'Aulaire

English/Language Arts
We are following this scope and sequence from Ambleside Online
He will continue to work on phonics till he can read.
Oral narrations of most assigned readings.
Handwriting practice through copywork using Italics or my handwriting.
First Language Lessons 1.

Budget permitting I will purchase Complete Writer workbook 1, Spelling Workout A, Italics A. These would help me tremendously while trying to get used to a new baby.


Math
Math U See Alpha

History
I'm not sure if he will go along with his siblings in History or not. If not I'll probably rely on the Ambleside Online readings. The older ones will be reading through Story of the World 3. I'll do written narrations of his History readings from whichever spine I use. He can illustrate these and put them in his notebook.

Story of the World 3
This Country of Ours

We might do some Memory work for U.S. History. Perhaps work on the presidents of the United States.

Science
Science probably won't be a huge point this year. Reading is that most important point. I know little boys love Science though.

Option 1: The Well Trained Mind suggestions for Life Science. DK First Animal Encyclopedia, Kingfisher First Human Body Encyclopedia, and Laurie Carlson's Green Thumbs. Use these with the notebooking method suggested in TWTM.

Option 2: Real Science-4-kids

Option 3: Homemade Lessons using some KONOS units and library supplements.


No comments:

 
blog template by suckmylolly.com : background image by Patrick Hennessey